- Aeroplan AER.UN - $16.01 close $14.60 change -8.8%
- Brascan Rising Distribution BSD.UN - $11.26 close $9.10 change -19.2%
- Builders Energy Trust BET.UN - $14.77 close $11.85 change -19.8%
- Calpine Power CF.UN - $10.96 close $9.78 change -10.8%
- Northern Property Realty NPR.UN - $24.30 close $24.30 change 0%
- Energy Savings SIF.UN - $16.82 close $13.78 change -18.1%
- Telus (announced plans to convert) T - $64.93 close $56.15 change -13.5%
[Updated. Barf.] The conservatives announced changes to Canadian tax law last night that will affect how companies structured as income trusts will pay tax. Before: companies structured as income trusts didn't pay much tax. Rather, they paid their profits to people who owned their stock, and it was taxed in their hands. Now: those companies will have to pay tax before paying their profits out to stockholders. If you own a canadian mutual fund, odds are this affects you. If you own individual income trusts (like us), it definitely affects you. As an eye opener to those who may not follow the markets, here are the ones we hold and their closing price on Oct. 31, 2006. I'll update this post with their closing price on Nov. 1, 2006 tomorrow.