Tim Horton's nutrition guide lets us in on a secret that MUFFINS DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW!
- Tim's Raisin Bran muffin ... 380 calories, 9 grams of fat
- Tim's Banana Nut muffin ... 420 calories, 18 grams of fat
Compare with evil, evil donuts.
- Boston Cream donut ... 250 calories, 8 grams of fat
- Chocolate glazed cake donut ... 260 calories, 10 grams of fat
- Honey Cruller ... 320 calories, 19 grams of fat
OK, so the cruller is over the top. But are you surprised at the other two? I saw this feature on discovery channel one time where they centrifuged out all of the fat in a donut, and then showed it to you in a test tube. It's a lot. I haven't had many donuts since. But you're fooling yourself if you think muffins are the One True Way. They will not lead to enlightenment.
The site nutritiondata.com provides detailed nutritional information in familiar formats for all major fast food outlets. Better yet, it suggests healthier alternatives for some of the worst offendors. If you're thinking of ordering your favourite beverage, a Venti Caramel Mocha Frappucino with whipped cream, from our favourite barista, Dean-Marie (appearing mornings at Red Deer's finest Starbucks outlet), there are better choices that won't make your pulse quicken and your arteries feel like they're 3 sizes too small.
Make smart choices.