Rather than go through a minute by minute replay (which would take you 70 minutes to read) I thought I’d share some of the awesomeness from Saturday. In bullets:
- 10K is always longer than I think it is. When I rounded the bend and saw that I’d only passed the 1K mark I almost stopped. I was already tired. But not stopping was so much more excellent.
- The crowds cheering us on are Ah. May. Zing. Seriously. At points where I was most tired the crowd would start shouting and clapping and giving high fives and I was able to keep going. So, whether you were cheering for me from afar (your emails, messages and tweets, btw) or standing on the side of the road giving me, a complete stranger, the will to carry on, thank you. You are awesome.
- The water stations are too few and far between. But when you get there, it’s like heaven.
- I ran a full 7K without slowing down to a walk. That may be my record.
- When I did slow down, my legs felt like jelly and I briefly thought they might collapse under my weight. Note to self: Slowing down to a walk after 7K is dumb.
- I can’t believe that people run full marathons. They are superheroes. And also crazy.
- A good playlist can make a world of difference. Mine was only so so. There we a couple of gems on there though, so next time I’ll be prepared.
- I set a goal for myself in January. I followed through. It is literally the best feeling in the whole world.
- The day after my whole body hurt. Every muscle that can throb is still throbbing. But on the HUGE upside, my knees aren’t in pain. Did you hear what I said?? MY KNEES DON’T HURT!
I’m not sure it’ll be anytime soon, but I will run 10K again. Maybe next time with a buddy. Anyone interested?