Ok, so this week’s edition of Friday Goodness is a day late but it was chock full of so much goodness that I had to post anyway.
1. WEATHER – I think the thermometer hit 23 or 24 degrees. On April 2! It was glorious. Dan and I in our shorts and t-shirts and Jaia in her “pretty summer dress” spent a good chunk of the day outside basking in the sun. And Saturday, rinse and repeat. Except it was HOTTER. And by hotter I mean almost as hot as Ottawa gets in the middle of summer. Minus the blinding humidity.
2. EASTER DINNER – We tried to switch things up and decided to have Easter dinner on Friday instead of Sunday when we knew everyone would already have plans. It worked like a charm. Seated around the table were 8 of our nearest and dearest, which was preceded by a couple of hours spent on our patio. (See No. 1)
3. NCC TRAILS – Ottawa is well known for the vast number of hiking/walking/cross-country skiing/snowmobiling/off-leash dog walking trails that can be found within and around the city. Dan and I have been taking advantage for years, but had yet to explore many of those close to us in the east end of town.
On Friday we geared up with my camera, some snacks and water, and comfy shoes and went for a trek on one of the many paths found in the Mer Bleue Conservation Area (a.k.a. the Mer Bleue bog).
It never ceases to amaze me that you we are living in a city and yet within a few minutes from home, you can find such beauty. And we enjoyed ourselves so much that we headed out to an even more amazing spot on Saturday.
4. DAYS OFF – More specifically, Dan having the day off. I feel like it’s been forever since we’ve really enjoyed a long weekend that wasn’t used to work on the house. We took full advantage of Friday AND Saturday to spend time together. And there’s still Sunday to get some work done around the house and feel like we’ve accomplished something. I wish every weekend was a long weekend.
5. NESTING – Admit it, ladies. You nested for your first, but your second…not so much. My hand is raised along with you. It’s not that I’m not excited – I am – it’s just that I’ve had very little time to devote to it. Combine that with feeling tired and pretty crappy, and setting up a nursery or prepping a hospital bag remained low on the list.
Other than buying a few necessities, not much has been done in preparation for Baby Frank’s arrival at all. But then I went out to dinner with a couple of girlfriends on Thursday who both asked if I was ready. **Gulp** Not one bit.
So early on Friday, before we began our day, Dan and I set about doing a little work on the new baby’s room. Junk is removed. Crib is set up. Bedding put on. I still have a little painting and a teeny bit of set up to do, but I’d say I’m 73% farther ahead than I was a few days ago. And it feels good.